The Gang

The Gang
October 2008 Sweet Potatoe Harvest

About Me

I am a busy mommy of 6, seeking to be a loving, godly helpmeet to my husband and a biblical discipler to my children. God has blessed us with a child with Autism. May the lessons that the Lord is teaching me and our family be a blessing to you and yours!

My Favorite Books

  • Bible
  • Created to be His Helpmeet by Debi Pearl
  • Four-Season Harvest by Eliot Coleman
  • Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World by Joanna Weaver
  • Home Cheese Making by Ricki Carroll
  • Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon
  • Shepherding a Child's Heart by Tedd Tripp
  • The Excellent Wife by Martha Peace
Wednesday, March 5, 2008
I am officially a Home Schooling Mom! On Monday we met with the school and pulled Samuel home. There are a number of reasons why we decided to make this move. First and foremost was that of a desire to spend more time with Sam with the intent of bathing him in scripture so that God can soften his heart. We started the week (Tuesday) with studying Col. 3:12-17. I have decided to use scripture for his spelling curriculum. So this week he is memorizing and learning how to spell all the words in verse 12. I really like this way of learning not only the Word but also the words. Through edhelper.com I was able to make up a cross word puzzle using the words in the verse. I'm enjoying using edhelper for my review pages as well as to design worksheets that focus on what I am wanting to help Sam with.

Our first two days of home schooling have gone very well. I know we are still in the "honeymoon" phase, but I'm very thankful for how it has started. It is amazing to me how much I am enjoying the challenge. I'm also looking forward to next year when I will be having all the kids all day long! They are looking forward to it as much as I am so that is even more exciting!! God has definitely turned all our hearts toward home schooling.

Sam is really enjoying being home. However, he does miss recess! :-) Right now we are trying to get the psorisis on his hands under control so I'm only letting him outside to play for about 1 hour once the other kids get home. We are doing 15 minutes of speed walking/light jogging in the house each morning too. I've also adopted my own version of "focus bucks". A little ticket system that my mother-in-law did with Sam when he home schooled with her in Canada a couple years ago. Sam is able to earn tickets for having a good attitude, trying his best, extra reading, doing his work neatly, and pretty much anything that I think exhibits good character or work. He can exchange his tickets for computer time or cash. He can also lose his tickets for bad behavior toward me or his siblings. The little system is working really well and is encouraging me to look for things to praise him for. He needs to be encouraged right now just as much as he needs to be admonished in the Lord.

So, as you think of us pray for me and Sam while we home school. We are usually busy with school from 8 a.m. - 1 or 2 p.m. So if you call me during that time you'll have to leave a message because we are busy with school. :-)

For those of you who are wondering if the house I mentioned worked out...We still don't know if the farm house will be ours yet. The appointment to see the house keeps on moving so once again God is teaching us to WAIT! :-) I will post once I know if we will be able to rent the house for sure or not.

0 comments: