The Gang

The Gang
October 2008 Sweet Potatoe Harvest

About Me

I am a busy mommy of 6, seeking to be a loving, godly helpmeet to my husband and a biblical discipler to my children. God has blessed us with a child with Autism. May the lessons that the Lord is teaching me and our family be a blessing to you and yours!

My Favorite Books

  • Bible
  • Created to be His Helpmeet by Debi Pearl
  • Four-Season Harvest by Eliot Coleman
  • Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World by Joanna Weaver
  • Home Cheese Making by Ricki Carroll
  • Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon
  • Shepherding a Child's Heart by Tedd Tripp
  • The Excellent Wife by Martha Peace
Wednesday, March 19, 2008
It has been a while since I have posted. We've had a lot of sickness in the house while trying to get into a good school routine with Sam. School with Samuel has been going very well. We have gotten over the honeymoon which led to a few days of stress and have now settled into a routine that is going really well. I figure if I'm getting too stressed... it isn't working. So we've tweeked a few things and now have a system that allows Sam to get the basics done successfully and in a reasonable amount of time while having fun!! I'm thankful for the many
godly families out there with 10+ kids who have gone before me and have left websites, books, and suggestions along the way to help those of us who are squandering at their first attempts to homeschool.

I've been busy in my free time researching food, food storage, gardening, and livestock. Phil will FINALLY see the farm house we are hoping to rent next week we HOPE! He spoke with the landlord and they are still planning on renting it out and it may be available as early as May 1st! YEAH!! That will give Phil time to do some painting and get the garden going nicely! :-)

Currently we are waiting for our organic seeds to arrive so that Sam and I can get some of them started indoors as part of our science and math "fun" work!

The books I'm reading right now include: Parenting from the Heart by Marilyn Boyer, Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon, and Animal Vegetable Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver.

If you want to really find out about the food you are eating and why you may want to start having your own garden or at the very least buy local organically raised produce you'll want to read Animal Vegetable Miracle. If you want to explore the possibility that the five basic food groups might not be all there is to a healthy diet and know more about fats, milk, vitamins, minerals, carbs, proteins, etc, then you'll want to read Nourishing Traditions. WOW!! My eye's have been opened and my quest for a kitchen filled with good nutrition is becoming a passion as well as a fun learning experience. I've been reminded of many of the things I studied about health and nutrition 8 yrs ago and encouraged to do what I can to make healthy food choices for my family. And... I'm not talking about following the 5 basic food groups!!! I'll post more about what I'm learning and the changes we are making in other posts.

For now, I'm off to read for a few minutes before settling down to bed.

0 comments: