The Gang

The Gang
October 2008 Sweet Potatoe Harvest

About Me

I am a busy mommy of 6, seeking to be a loving, godly helpmeet to my husband and a biblical discipler to my children. God has blessed us with a child with Autism. May the lessons that the Lord is teaching me and our family be a blessing to you and yours!

My Favorite Books

  • Bible
  • Created to be His Helpmeet by Debi Pearl
  • Four-Season Harvest by Eliot Coleman
  • Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World by Joanna Weaver
  • Home Cheese Making by Ricki Carroll
  • Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon
  • Shepherding a Child's Heart by Tedd Tripp
  • The Excellent Wife by Martha Peace
Thursday, March 27, 2008
Have you ever set out on a quest to eat healthier, fresher, and yet keep variety and the ability to enjoy cooking all at the same time?? This is my current quandary. Through the reading of Nourishing Traditions and Animal, Vegetable, Miracle I am determined to stop feeding my family junk and start teaching them how to eat in a way that will allow them to have healthier lives.

Many of you know that I have struggled with my weight for years. I go up and down in weight and the ability to hold onto changes in my diet. I LOVE food!!! The Lord has been working in my heart and teaching me that I have been worshiping food as a god in my life and allowing it to consume me. As I've been researching out healthy eating I'm reminded again that food is supposed to sustain us physically and mentally in order that we might fulfill the spiritual path the Lord has for us.

We have been changing many things about our meals and meal times. We are working toward more fresh with an ultimate goal of eating more locally fresh foods from our own garden and those in our county.

So what was for dinner tonight?

Pasture Fed Beef Cube Steak (from a farm 5 miles away)Breaded with Organic Whole Wheat Flour, salt & Pepper and fried in Virgin Coconut Oil.
Mixed Greens, Spinach, carrots, peppers, and green onions. All organic but not local.
Organic Kefired Milk made into a smoothie with Strawberries, Organic Flax, & Organic Sucanant.

I'm looking forward to spring actually hitting the great north so we can plant our greens, cole veggies, onions & potatoes. This weekend Phil is bringing home raw cow milk YEAH!! We were so excited to find a source only a few miles from the house we hope to rent. It will be good to have REAL milk again! Not stuff that has been killed then fortified with synthetic vitamins that our bodies don't even absorb!!

Oh, and for those of you who are wondering if our quest for healthier food is helping me to loose weight. The answer is yes! Maybe in a couple months I'll post some before and after pictures. For now the loss hasn't been significant enough to really notice. I just feel a lot less puffy! So..... maybe I'll start posting menu's a few times a week showing how we are making our food changes in a healthy yummy way!

0 comments: