The Gang

The Gang
October 2008 Sweet Potatoe Harvest

About Me

I am a busy mommy of 6, seeking to be a loving, godly helpmeet to my husband and a biblical discipler to my children. God has blessed us with a child with Autism. May the lessons that the Lord is teaching me and our family be a blessing to you and yours!

My Favorite Books

  • Bible
  • Created to be His Helpmeet by Debi Pearl
  • Four-Season Harvest by Eliot Coleman
  • Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World by Joanna Weaver
  • Home Cheese Making by Ricki Carroll
  • Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon
  • Shepherding a Child's Heart by Tedd Tripp
  • The Excellent Wife by Martha Peace
Saturday, April 12, 2008

First a funny story: Yesterday Nathan was excitedly walking down the hallway yelling "daddy! Yook what I got!" Phil turned to see him squeezing a bright orange wiggling object gasping for air. THE GOLDFISH! He laughed, rescued the dying creature and threw it back into the fish tank. Believe it or not the fish is still alive today!

Currently the boys are all outside playing in our fresh 6" of heavy snow. Over the past two weeks we've gotten about 1 foot 4 inches of snow at least!! Thankfully next week it is supposed to be in the 50's all week so maybe spring will finally come to the great north. Each morning that we wake up with fresh snow Thomas walks into my room and says in a very discouraged exasperated tone, "Mom, Spring is NEVER coming!" Today the boys have made a snowman and Nathan is standing in front of it singing at the top of his lungs,"Happy Birthday to you!"



Speaking of Birthdays, this past week we had two very special birthdays in our family. On Sunday April 6 Caleb accepted the Lord as his Savior. And on Thursday Samuel, who has really been struggling, realized that he had been trusting in the words he uttered at a young age rather than accepting Christs finished work on the Cross. Samuel too made the decision to accept the Lord as His Savior. We have seen over the past few days evidence of the Lord working in their hearts and attitudes and are praying that if these decisions were true that there will be fruit in their lives evidencing God's changing Grace!

We are waiting to hear from our potential Land Lords as to whether or not we will be able to secure the House in New Holstein and when our tentative moving date will be.

Our garden plants are doing great!! They are still inside in the peat trays NOT under the 6" of snow thankfully!! :-)

So far we have 15 cherry tomato, 13 Beefsteak Tomato, 14 Opalka Tomato, 11 Roma Tomato, & 17 Cosmonaut Volkov Tomato, 11 Hot Beaver Dam Pepper, 3 Gold Peppers, 7 Napoleon Red Sweet Pepper, 4 Utah Celery, 20 American Flag Leeks, 1 Sage, 8 English Thyme, 7 Dill, 1 Sweet Basil, 12 Greek Oregano, 12 Chives, 10 Cabbage, 12 Lettuce, 15 red onion, 9 chamomile, 20 broccoli, 15 Brussels sprout, and 50 Cauliflower plants. Some of the plants that didn't sprout well I'm going to give another week then replant, it will be nice to stagger the harvest times and will still give me a chance to see which seeds were the best. Since this is my first time starting seeds I know I may have over watered the peat pellets which may have prevented some from sprouting. I'm enjoying the learning process and I know I will love it this winter when my pantry & freezer are full of food for my family! Today I will be starting my watermelon, cantaloupe, green flesh musk melon, and pumpkin plants. Fun Fun!!

For now though it is time to make some whole grain banana bread and hot chocolate for my boys for when they come in from our April Winter Wonderland!

0 comments: