The Gang

The Gang
October 2008 Sweet Potatoe Harvest

About Me

I am a busy mommy of 6, seeking to be a loving, godly helpmeet to my husband and a biblical discipler to my children. God has blessed us with a child with Autism. May the lessons that the Lord is teaching me and our family be a blessing to you and yours!

My Favorite Books

  • Bible
  • Created to be His Helpmeet by Debi Pearl
  • Four-Season Harvest by Eliot Coleman
  • Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World by Joanna Weaver
  • Home Cheese Making by Ricki Carroll
  • Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon
  • Shepherding a Child's Heart by Tedd Tripp
  • The Excellent Wife by Martha Peace
Thursday, April 3, 2008
I promised earlier this week that I'd post my Taco Seasoning recipe. My sour cream worked!! I took 2 cups of fresh cream and added 2 tablespoons of butter milk (from the butter we shook over the weekend), and let it sit out for a day. YUMMY!! It has been chilling for a day now so we are ready to have Taco's for dinner.

Tonights Menu:
Taco Meat
Grated Raw Mild Cheddar Cheese
Sliced Spinach & Mixed Greens
SalsaThe
Sour Cream
Sprouted Organic Wheat Soft Tortilla Shells


Taco Seasoning Recipe:
This recipe is supposed to be added to 1 pound of meat. We find we like it better with two pounds of meat or it is a bit spicy. This can be made in larger quantities and put in an air tight container. Then use about 2 tbsp per pound or as much seasoning as your family prefers!

2 tsp onion powder
1 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp crushed dried red pepper
1/4 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp ground cumin

If you prefer more of a tomatoey (is that a word??) taco meat, you can add some diced tomatoes or a can of diced tomatoes. Currently I have to cook tomato free because of my oldest sons psoriasis.

Today's transform your kitchen tip: Try hot cereals for breakfast. I only buy old fashioned or thick organic oats. Currently only my older two kids enjoy oatmeal. But I torture them all by making them eat it once a week. We add a little raw honey or organic sucanat to sweeten it up. Sometimes I sneak in a little ground flax. If our economy continues to crash hot cereals will be one of the most economical breakfast's. So it is due time that we start teaching our kids how wonderful and healthy "porridge" really is!

0 comments: